When looking at romantic comedies , most of the target audience would be either teenage or an adult audience. There are a lot of aspects which go in to determining what audience you target when making an opening scene. Every genre will vary depending on the nature of the content in the film and this then explains the rating the film is also given.
Here are a few films I looked at when analysing how past romantic comedies narrowed their audience and age certificate they were given and for what reasons.
This film was given a certificate rating of 15 ,which means that it is suitable to be seen by an audience of the age of 15 years and older. The film was certificated this rating because:
- There is frequent use of strong language
- Strong sexual reference and activity
- Discriminatory language or behaviour
Ghost Of Girlfriend's Past
This film was given a certificate rating of pg13 ,which means that it is suitable to be seen by an audience of the age of 13 years and older. The film was certificated this rating because:
- Some content may be inappropriate for children 13 years and under
- There are aspects of the film which could suggest that parents need to decide whether it is suitable for their child to see this film
- It is 'suggested' that parents or careers are present when children 13 years or younger watch the film.